Friday, March 6, 2009

whirling dervish

"Let the lover be disgraceful, crazy, absent-minded.  Someone sober will worry about events going badly.  Let the lover be."
- Rumi

new original art piece in my shop

The Mevlevi, or "The Whirling Dervishes", believe in performing their dhikr in the form of a "dance" and music ceremony called the sema.

The Sema represents a mystical journey of man's spiritual ascent through mind and love to "Perfect." Turning towards the truth, the follower grows through love, deserts his ego, finds the truth and arrives at the "Perfect.

The Mevleviye, one of the most well known of the Sufi orders, was founded in 1273 by Rumi's followers after his death. ~

* above taken from Wikipedia *

5 comments:

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

ooh nice!! I see a series of small prints, postcard sets etc if you create more in a similar style!!

I'm super super late sending you music due to the THREE computer crashes and then a Trojan and then the fact that I couldn't handle 3rd new computer's cd burner... But I'm getting there and I won't enclose the Trojan.

Feels like all I did for one entire week was to drive broken computers to another town. And then loads of sorting through files and trying to cope with f*ing Vista which is totally new to me. Yesterday I escaped to Stockholm and today I'm finally drawing something for the first time in ages!!!

Flying Whale said...

oh noooo, that's horrid about your computer troubles. how can that happen so many times??? i've heard horror stories about Vista. how is everything now? i hope you're up & running smoothly.

no worries about the CD, take your time. it's all for fun... deadlines are for the real world ;)

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

deadlines are for the real world... I like that :)

Nothing much is going smoothly - except that the new(est) computer certainly is fast. I don't like Vista at all but that's what was in all the new computers. I keep clicking on nothing because something used to be there - it's like I have to READ and LOOK all the time and can't instinctively do what I'm used to.

But I got rid of the Trojan and today I managed to burn a trial cd! So unless there are more crashes and stuff things are looking up ;)

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

P.S. I'm sticking my old computer in the freezer or putting it outside overnight. Heard that may help when there's been a hard disk crash. I would like to retrieve the 53 new poems that I was just about to backup :(

Flying Whale said...

now that is something i've never heard... the freezer? maybe computers aren't as technical as we once thought...hahaha.

i hate the thought of you losing 53 poems :(