Tuesday, July 6, 2010

the next paper flip

i just finished a book. it was a fabulous read but this is not a critique (though i do recommend it your your imagination). i don't think i could ever be a reviewer or critic, i would hate to have to analyze something i enjoyed or found beautiful.

after an extremely hot day i tucked myself into the subtle waves of a cool bath scented with blackberries. there i finished a novel i'd been enjoying for a while. living the lives of fictional characters that took me away from the day to day i live. it's amazing how a good book can blur the crowd on a subway into one mass of foggy sound, as if they were ghosts surrounding you as you scroll across perfectly chosen words on a page.

i love the feel of a book in my hands, the fine touch between my fingers as i quickly flip pages to find out what's happening around the paper corner.

now i wait. i can choose my next adventure but must wait until enough time passes until i have mourned past characters. i can't start into a new book immediately, i always have to give it a couple of days between books. this only goes for books i loved of course. if i feel nothing for the characters then it's no problem diving head first into the next bit of writing. If i feel a connection/love/admiration/etc. then i have to let them move on into their reserved section of my mind & memory before replacing them.


1 comment:

Corn and Wine said...

I love the way you describe how you mourn the loss of the characters in the books you love. I, too, keep favorite characters and books tucked away in my heart and mind - The Grapes of Wrath, To Kill A Mockingbird, and The Secret Life of Bees are just a few that come to mind. I'll have to take a look at this book. Thanks for the recommendation. :)